Goodnites Guide: Talking to your child about your bedwetting experience
Nighttime wetting usually has a strong genetic tie. If parents experienced bedwetting, they might remember feeling stressed or confused. They can use this experience to alleviate stress for their child.
Nighttime wetting usually has a strong genetic cause. While specific experiences may vary, it’s very common for bedwetting to run in the family.
Younger children who are recently potty trained might not be worried about bedwetting. Older children are usually more concerned. Sharing your own experiences can help them realize they aren’t alone and that in most cases, it will go away naturally.
You probably remember feeling stressed or confused about nighttime wetting. This gives you empathy for what your child is going through. It’s a great opportunity to help reassure your child by having an open, honest discussion. Openly talking about these shared experiences shows your child how common bedwetting is – even among their own family members! This can provide a huge sense of comfort and reassurance for them and gives them a real-life example of someone outgrowing nighttime wetting.
Here are some tips below to help you facilitate an open and honest conversation like this.
Main Conversation Points:
- When I was a child, I was just like you! I had accidents at night, too.
- I also used to wake up in a wet bed.
- Just like you, I didn’t have any control over it. I just slept right through it and didn’t even know!
- I wet the bed until I was (xx) years old.
- I just had to wait for my body to grow and mature before I eventually was dry all night.
- Someday, you’ll grow out of this too! In the meantime, I think we should keep using your Goodnites under your pajamas. What do you think abut that?
- I want you to know this because bedwetting is so common – many other kids experience this just like us.
- The most important thing we can do right now is make sure we talk to each other. I want you to know you can always come to me about this.
- This isn’t a big deal and I know we’re going to get through this just fine.